So, for years I’ve been dreaming of living organically and trying to provide for our family predominantly from our own block of land.
In saying that, I’m also a plant killer. ‘Mass Herbicide’ is the phrase that is bandied about amongst family members who have witnessed the utter devastation that is my attempts at gardening. But I’m not going to let that stop me from getting up and trying again.
We are lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to move to a beautiful almost-30-acre block just outside of the little town where we live. This means we will have more than enough space to do everything we have ever wanted… and more.
While we wait for the current residents to move out, we are left to plan and gather inspiration.
On my dream list:
- Vegetable & herb gardens
- Fruit and nut trees
- numerous food producing vines
- Bees for honey and wax
- Chickens for eggs and meat
- Lambs for meat
- Pigs for meat
- A milking cow for milk, yogurt, cream, butter, cheese…
- Beef cattle
- Alpacas for fibre and protection
- Mushrooms of all kinds
- A productive dam filled with fish and water vegetables, and maybe a few yabbies
- and I know there’s a bunch of other projects on my Pinterest page just waiting to be explored!